Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Food

It's suddenly 95 degrees every day, which is not awesome, and is also making me realize that I'm a little late breaking out the summer recipes this year. I stopped on the way home last night and bought a bunch of vegetables so I could whip up some nice cool things for us to eat for a couple of days.

Last night I made rice salad primavera for us to take for lunches. This is one of my favorite salad recipes ever, and is super easy - the only cooking required is the rice, and the dressing is just dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. And it's a Vegetarian Times recipe, so it's online! I did cut the oil down to 1 Tbsp. I never like as much oil in salad dressings as recipes call for.


Then for tonight's dinner I made cold rice noodle salad with baked tofu and vegetables. I've come to realize I have an almost pathological need to pack as many different vegetables into one day as I can, and this is a good way to get lots of them at once. Usually I use julienned red pepper, but I forgot to buy one and Ben isn't a super big fan of bell peppers anyway. So, along with the thinly sliced cucumber, I shredded a couple of carrots to stand in for the red pepper (and, amazingly, did not also shred my skin off my fingers like I normally do). I also have some shredded red leaf lettuce in the very bottom of the bowl, an idea I stole from our local Vietnamese hole-in-the-wall. The dressing is just a Tbsp of each of sesame oil and sugar, the juice of two limes, and a finely sliced jalapeno.


Perfect for a hot summer night!

No comments: