Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Grilled (Not-)Cheese!

I tried to make a faux grilled cheese one time using store-bought vegan cheese slices (I think it was this brand) and it didn't really work out. The cheese softened up, but it also sort of separated and instead of meltiness it was kind of like oil was leaking out? Anyway, it was yuck.

I really wanted to try it with the Great Smoky Mountain Cheeze I made on Sunday. I was relatively confident it would work out pretty well, since it's already a smooth texture that spreads right onto the bread, and wouldn't have to do any weird melting to imitate the texture of warm cheese. I put some tomato on there for vitamins and added deliciousness, then slowly toasted it up in a skillet so the cheese would get nice and warm.

IT WORKED!! It was great. Ben was extremely suspicious about the whole operation but he agreed that this is a keeper.


I was going to get some prepared tomato soup to go with, but discovered all the brands at the store have milk as the first ingredient. I didn't feel like making a soup from scratch, though, either, so we had it with a can of Amy's minestrone.

No comments: