Monday, June 6, 2011

Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes

One thing I've learned since going vegan is that it isn't the meat that gives signature dishes their flavor. Unless you're a fan of a big piece of steak or chicken - which I never was, even as an omnivore - the cravings for most things can be taken care of by knowing how to pair flavors, techniques, and a neutral protein.

So, I was interested to try these faux crab cakes from Isa Chandra Moskovitz's book Vegan Brunch. They're made of a mixture of steamed, seasoned tempeh and panko bread crumbs, plus some Vegenaise, minced red pepper, hot sauce, and a few spices.

I feel like I spend half my life talking about what a genius Isa is, but IT'S TRUE. These things were off the hook. They even looked like crab cakes. Bonus: This recipe is online at Isa's blog, and would be a good recipe to start with if you're curious but a little scared of tempeh.

Per the book's suggestion I mixed up a little remoulade sauce of Vegenaise, dijon mustard, hot sauce, and capers and it was, of course, awesome.

I was going to roast some potatoes alongside the asparagus but I somehow left the grocery store without them yesterday. This is why you should always have tater tots on hand! One of the many reasons, anyway.

I froze half this batch for a future quick dinner and I think they're going to get eaten sooner rather than later. This is one of the best dinners in a long time!

No comments: