Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Veggie Pot Pie Stew & Biscuits

Oh, look, it's another dinner from Appetite for Reduction! I made a few changes to both of these recipes, though.

The biscuits are in the book as Sweet Potato Biscuits, but I had some canned pumpkin sitting around, as well as some carrot/tomato/onion pulp leftover from making an Indian soup, so I replaced the mashed sweet potato with a mixture of those two things. It worked perfectly! They were delicious and soft and biscuity.

The stew is pot pie vegetables - potatoes, peas, mushrooms, carrots - cooked in a broth that is thickened with flour but also yellow split peas, which gives it some protein. I used half of my potatoes in something else a few days ago, so I used one big russet and one big sweet potato rather than all russets. The sweet potatoes broke down almost completely, but it still worked as a whole thing.



Ben said, "This is the perfect wintery dinner!" Too bad it is going to be close to 70 degrees every day this week. This has been the weirdest December ever.

No comments: