Monday, December 12, 2011

Sanctuary Chef Salad

I have been putting this off ever since I got Appetite for Reduction, because even though it sounded delicious there are a jillion steps. Here's what you have to do:

1. Make dressing (vegan ranch, but she calls it Sanctuary, since ranches are mean places for animals. Get it?)
2. Marinate and bake tofu
3. Make eggplant bacon, which involves thinly slicing an eggplant and then baking it for 9 minutes, flipping over all the little slices and baking for another 3 minutes, dredging each slice in a mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke, and then baking again for a few more minutes)
4. Make herb-roasted cauliflower, in which cauliflower is chopped and tossed with basil, oregano, thyme, olive oil, salt, and bread crumbs, and then baked
5. Wash and chop a ton of vegetables.

SEE? It's insane. But I had the feeling it would turn out to be worth it and it was! Here's all the stuff (minus the lettuce). I bought an avocado to go with because I like avocado on salads, but after seeing all the other ingredients we felt like it would have been excessive.



Here is the result!



It was really hearty and filling and super great. I won't be throwing this one together all the time, but it's definitely worth making for a special treat.

3 comments:

Matt said...

I've always wanted to make this, but it seemed insanely cumbersome. Why does everyone else's eggplant bacon so look so much better than mine?

molly said...

It didn't look that great close up! It tasted good, though.

The recipe wasn't TOO bad to put together on a weekend day - I made the dressing in the morning and baked the various things over the course of the afternoon. Definitely not weeknight fare, though.

Matt said...

Hmmm, okay. I might give it a go. My partner loves salads, and they just always seem like too much work for me :P.

Glad you enjoyed it.