Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Halal Cart-Style (not) Chicken & Rice With White Sauce

I saw this recipe on the internet the other day and was dying with want. So I veganized it!

The changes I made are pretty obvious ones - Earth Balance for butter, Vegenaise for mayo. I used vegan sour cream in place of the Greek yogurt, because vegan yogurts tend to be watery and sweet - even the plain versions have added sugar which would not work well for something like this. The sour cream (Follow Your Heart brand) worked perfectly. I used Viva Vegan white seitan in place of the chicken and also cut the olive oil in the marinade to 2 Tbsp and replaced the other 2 Tbsp with vegetable broth.


The whole thing was totally great. This was one of those dinners I immediately wanted to eat again right after I was finished eating it the first time. Fortunately, there are leftovers for lunch!

No comments: