Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 2 of No Groceries Week, plus Zucchini Bread

This picture is making me laugh with its monochromisity (yeah, I don't think that's a real word, either).

Normally I would put black beans in a tomato/couscous salad like that but I didn't have any, so I used a mixture of white beans and black eyed peas from the freezer. I'm a BIG fan of my new idea of cooking up beans and freezing them - there is nothing grosser to me than the juice in a can of beans. So I'm going to try to keep a variety of frozen beans on hand from now on. It only took a minute to thaw them in the microwave. Anyway, I also mixed in some chopped tomato, shallot, and chives from our plant on the back porch, and seasoned it with lime juice, cumin, and salt & pepper.

The sandwiches are Soy Delight fake chicken salad, with some chopped celery and dried cranberries. We cannot get enough of this fake chicken salad. So delicious.

I also made zucchini bread last night, using my mom's recipe. I used this stuff instead of eggs:


and it tasted just like normal! I'd done this once before and I remember thinking it was a bit weird, but I also replaced half the oil that time with applesauce. This time I made it full fat and it was fine. Caloriffic, but tastier.

Zucchini bits!

No comments: