Saturday, March 12, 2011

Carb Cabinet Inventory

My red cabinet is where things dried beans, nuts and seeds, pasta, and grains live. It is completely out of control right now. Packed to the brim.

I've decided I need to start making an effort to use some of this stuff up. Today I took an inventory and here's what's in there:

Pasta
- tricolor fusilli
- whole wheat fusilli
- regular fusilli (we really like fusilli)
- elbow macaroni
- two types of lasagna noodles
- two types of asian rice noodles
- some gluten-free rice spaghetti Ben bought once by mistake
- egg noodles, which I haven't decided yet to keep or throw out

Nuts & Seeds
- flax seeds
- walnuts
- sunflower seeds
- peanuts
- pine nuts
- raw cashews
- roasted, salted cashews

Beans
- kidney beans
- great northern beans
- red lentils
- brown lentils
- black eyed peas
- black beans
- chickpeas
- yellow split peas

Grains
- arborio rice
- basmati rice
- brown rice
- barley
- orzo (2 boxes, plus some in a glass jar)
- two sizes of israeli couscous
- regular couscous
- quick grits
- quinoa
- bulgur
- wild rice (had no idea I even had this)
- instant polenta
- regular polenta

Other
- rice paper wrappers
- ground ginger
- cheese ravioli, which I did throw out because it's got to be at least six months old and, even if I ate cheese, there is something disconcerting about shelf-stable cheese ravioli


So yeah. That's crazy. I just did my meal planning for the week and every recipe uses some crap out of that cabinet. One recipe uses FOUR things! Stay tuned for exciting updates.

No comments: