Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Trip to the Indian Market

I've been hunting for chickpea flour for a couple of weeks and finally resolved that I was going to have to go to the Indian market to find some. Yelp referred me to the Around the World Market on Hillsborough Street, between Raleigh and Cary. It was kind of a hike getting there, but well worth the trip. I found the chickpea flour, and tons of other amazing things, too. Since I've been doing the vegan thing I've been seeing lots of references to ingredients like tamarind concentrate and yuca, which I haven't been able to find at the regular store or Whole Foods. I unexpectedly ran across both at Around the World, and the best part is that everything is ridiculously cheap. They have huge bundles of cinnamon sticks for $5, which is what Harris Teeter charges for a tiny bottle of about 6. Huge bags of tons of different kinds of flour, rice, beans, spices... I am definitely going to be hitting this place up more often. Here's what I bought today:


  • tamarind concentrate
  • chickpea flour (besan)
  • yuca (that's the root-looking thing in the front)
  • mint chutney
  • mango chutney
  • huge box of potato and pea samosa
  • 2 kinds of rice noodles
  • some weird kind of sesame candy Ben loves
Success! The Indian market is the place to be.

No comments: