Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cashew Cheese and Lemon-Blueberry Muffins


We've been eating lentil soup for the last couple of nights so I haven't posted pictures. Everyone knows what lentil soup looks like!

I did make faux goat cheese last weekend. This recipe is widely regarded as one of the best, so I tried it out. It's good, but it's not very cheesy. I tried it on pizza and it was kind of eh, but I think it would be good with crackers or on salads.


This morning I made lemon-blueberry corn muffins. No eggs or milk! I even replaced half the oil with unsweetened applesauce, since I'm doing Weight Watchers again for the eight hundredth time in my life. I don't know how my cookbook lady does it, but there are never any weird ingredients in her baking recipes to replace the eggs, and everything always turns out great anyway. This was just flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, soy milk, a little soy yogurt, canola oil, vanilla, lemon zest, and blueberries.


In case anyone is curious, since October I've been cooking primarily from the cookbooks of Isa Chandra Moskowitz:
If you're ever interested in vegan cooking, I would definitely start with Isa's books. I tossed around the idea of trying veganism for a long time, but it was checking out Veganomicon from the library that finally pushed me over the edge. Her recipes are simple, don't use any weird ingredients, and rely very little on prepared fake meat products. And they're all fantastic! I haven't found a bad one yet.

1 comment:

Ellie B said...

Those muffins look so good!