Monday, February 28, 2011

Chimichurri Tofu, Cilantro-Lime Yucca, and Asparagus

The sauce for this tofu comes from Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero, an excellent cookbook for Latin vegan cooking. It's made of parsley, shallots, and garlic, with some red wine vinegar and some other herbs. There was supposed to be 1/3rd of a cup of oil, but I cut it back to 1 Tbsp and replaced the rest with water. You bake the tofu for a half hour, then spread the marinade on and bake it for another half hour. This is the first time in the twelve years since I started cooking with tofu that I've successfully made delicious, chewy, flavor-infused baked tofu. Finally! I always wondered how they got the pre-packaged stuff to be so dense. Now I know.


The side dish is mashed yucca (that stuff I picked up at the Indian market a couple weeks ago), flavored with cilantro and lime. Yucca is coated with wax to extend the shelf-life, and it makes peeling it kind of a hassle. Its texture was denser than mashed potatoes and there is a bit more natural flavor, but ultimately it was kind of a pain in the ass for not that much payoff. I think I'll stick to potatoes for this kind of thing in the future.

No comments: