Monday, February 21, 2011

Fettucini with Ricotta, Spinach, & Pine Nuts

Apparently I am on a pine nut kick.

I've decided that at least once a week I need to start venturing from Isa's cookbooks and trying to veganize recipes that may not have been intended as vegan. This one is from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, one of the first vegetarian cookbooks I ever bought. A few of her recipes have become staples in our house over the years, but I haven't used it as fully as I could have. Since veganism is making me into a much more adventurous cook, hopefully that will be remedied in future months.

Anyway, I had to make two substitutions to veganize the recipe: replace the butter with Earth Balance (easy enough), and replace the ricotta with tofu ricotta. I used Isa's recipe for this, I have to admit, but it was a good idea because, predictably, it was great. I will definitely be using it for lasagna in the future. I also cut the oil & butter by over half, as I usually do in most of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. That lady loves her fat.



This turned out to be unexpectedly fantastic. I didn't miss the real cheese one bit! There was no soy flavor at all, and the spinach was cooked down so much that it just sort of melted into the sauce. I'm sometimes iffy on cooked spinach, so this was a good thing for me.

No comments: