Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pierogies

Pierogies used to be a pretty common quick dinner for us, but all of the ones at the store have cheese in them! So I decided, for my big weekend cooking adventure, to undertake pierogies from scratch. I started at 4:00, thinking I would get everything ready to go so all I had to do at dinnertime was boil them. Haha. Ha. Three episodes of Stargate Atlantis later, I was still in the kitchen finishing everything up. Granted, I also chopped up tons of fruits and vegetables and made salad dressing in that time, but still. This was sort of involved.

However! It was 100% worth it. Plus it made so many that I can freeze half for a quick dinner later! The filling is potato, mushroom, and onion, and the dough is pretty basic - just flour, water, oil, and a little salt. Look how many pierogies:



I caramelized a bunch of onions to go on top, and also served them with Tofutti sour cream, the first time I'd tried store-bought vegan sour cream. It was pretty good. We also had an old school vegetable salad (lettuce/carrots/red pepper/broccoli/sunflower seeds) with homemade green goddess dressing.


The kitchen was an epic mess! We found Banana hanging out with the dishes after we ate.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look really good and I am now craving pierogies.

Sarah said...

I had forgotten all about Green Goddess Dressing.