Sunday, July 31, 2011

Portobello Salad with Spicy Mustard Dressing

I've been wanting to make this salad forever, mainly because the picture of it in Veganomicon is so pretty. Mushrooms are hard, though; they seem to go bad almost instantly so if I'm not planning to use them the day I go to the grocery store, I don't even bother to include them in the weekly meal plan. Today, however, was grocery day and I needed a light dinner so it worked perfectly.

I've made this salad dressing before - it's just spicy mustard, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, and olive oil - and it is fantastic. The salad is romaine, thinly sliced red onion, chickpeas, and avocado, topped with marinated roasted portobello mushrooms. It was really, really good.


And then we ate dessert. Did you know July 30th is National Cheesecake Day? Well, now you do. I finally made my first vegan cheesecake (recipe from Vegan Diner), and also made a sauce of fresh raspberries and blackberries to go on top.



It worked! It tasted like actual cheesecake! And I know this for a fact, because Ben is not completely vegan and just ate dairy cheesecake on Friday. He was very impressed. Hooray!@

No comments: