Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bacon Cheeseburgers and Kale. Lots of Kale.

I bought The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet recently but hadn't yet gotten around to trying any of the recipes. (I'm going to stop buying cookbooks now, I swear). The buns Ben made on Sunday were from this cookbook and seemed very promising, and tonight I made the "bacon cheeseburgers" to go on them. Did you know Bac-O's are vegan? IT'S TRUE.

Anyway, these things were not very bacon cheeseburgery, to be honest, but they were quite good regardless. There's peanut butter and maple syrup and BBQ sauce mixed in with TVP, wheat gluten, bacon bits, and nutritional yeast, so they have a nice sweetish flavor. This picture is crooked but you get the idea.

Naturally, we had kale on the side. I was going to make fried zucchini until I figured up the calorie count for the burgers and buns. They're not health food, that's for sure.

Last night after dinner I started getting kind of panicky about using up that huge bag of kale so I steamed some up to take for lunch and also baked two pans of kale chips.


Even after this, plus the kale we ate tonight for dinner, there's about half the bag left. Eep.

No comments: