Saturday, July 9, 2011

FAILURE.

Tonight I tried to make the Green Thai Curry from Vegan With a Vengeance. I've made thai coconut milk curries for years and years - it might have been the first thing I ever learned to do with tofu - but I've always used jarred curry paste. I thought it would be a fun challenge to make my own curry paste, and since I trust Isa implicitly I went with her recipe. But OH MY GOD something was terribly wrong with it. I think maybe my shallots were too intensely flavored? The result was inedibly bitter, even after I kept adding more and more maple syrup to sweeten it (before finally realizing: I am wasting very expensive maple syrup for no reason).

Sadness.

I had already cooked the rice and sauteed the tofu, peppers, and onions separately, so at least we had something to eat. I made a little glaze of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha, and it was fine.


In over nine months of vegan cooking, this was the first complete failure. I guess it had to happen sometime! Really disappointing, though. I hate wasting food and the worst part is that I'm too gunshy to try that recipe again, since I can't definitively figure out what the problem was. Oh, well.

No comments: