Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday in the Kitchen

I turned 35 (!) this week and my present from Ben was this baby. (If you look closely you can see the reflection of my red snowflake pajama pants in the bowl. What? It's almost Christmas.)



He didn't seem sure at all that I would even like it. WHAT!! The only reason I've resisted buying one up until this point is that I historically have not been all that into baking and didn't feel like I needed it. I've surely been wanting it, though, especially since I've realized that none of the decent bread available in grocery stores is vegan.

So the first thing I made, naturally, was basic white bread. I used a recipe from the little instruction manual (just replacing the called-for butter with Earth Balance) because I wanted to be sure to mix it for the right length of time on my first attempt. It was super awesome to bypass the mess and hassle of kneading! And the bread turned out great.



I made this Pesto Soup with Gnocchi, Beans, and Greens to go with. I've had it mentally bookmarked since I first saw it on the PPK blog, but I never feel much like making soup until it gets cold. This was just as good as I hoped - Ben was doubtful about the cauliflower but you can't even taste it after the soup is pureed.



I also made another PPK recipe today, because biscuits and gravy + bread + soup + seitan (not pictured) apparently didn't give me enough time in the kitchen today. The recipe is for Chocolate Pumpkin Bread, but I turned it into muffins in the interest of portion control. Both the texture and flavor are amazing, moist and also somehow light and fluffy despite being, you know, a chocolate muffin.



No comments: