Friday, October 28, 2011

Dad's Chili

I've always loved my dad's chili - probably because it's not spicy in the least, but is instead flavored with paprika and vinegar and sugar (in addition to the standard chili powder). I've been making a vegetarian version for years using Morningstar Farms crumbles. Sadly, however, the majority of Morningstar's products are not vegan, so I've had to switch to Boca. Still good, though.



I've decided to start trying to veganize regular recipes for baked goods once in a while rather than baking exclusively from vegan cookbooks. I thought the cornbread would be a good place to start with this, because I tried a vegan recipe a few months ago and was not a fan. I made this one from one of our favorite things, the cornbread topping from a Cook's Illustrated Tamale Pie recipe. Did you know Cook's Illustrated doesn't make their recipes available online?? I just learned it five minutes ago. Anyway, all I had to do was replace the butter with Earth Balance, the eggs with Ener-G, and the buttermilk with soy milk, and it worked great.

This was the perfect dinner for our first truly chilly night of the fall.

No comments: