Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tempeh Helper

As a lifelong superfan of Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper, I've wanted to make this recipe since the moment I got Appetite for Reduction. I had the vague idea Ben would be against it, but for someone who still eats real cheese, he's turned out to be a surprising fan of nutritional yeast-based "cheesy" sauces.


This looks amazingly like the real thing, doesn't it? (If you imagine the tempeh is ground turkey in there rather than ground beef, anyway.) It continues to amaze me how closely nutritional yeast sauce can mimic cheese. The taste was a little bitter, though. I used Trader Joe's tempeh and I think it has a stronger flavor than the brand I usually buy. I'm going to try this again but using Boca fake meat crumbles instead of the tempeh, so that the flavors in the sauce will be more prominent.

No comments: