Sunday, May 22, 2011

BBQ Seitan Sandwiches & Dill Potato Salad

Um, holy crap. This meal was amazing. Both recipes are from Vegan Diner, which I picked up last week. If anything else in the book even comes close to being as amazing as what I ate for lunch today, I will be a happy camper.


I thought this would be sort of a quick lunch, but unfortunately I procrastinated and hadn't yet made the seitan. So I did that, and while it was steaming I also had to make garlic mayo and the bbq sauce to serve as bases for the potato salad and sandwiches, respectively.

I've never done homemade barbecue sauce before and it was both easy and far, far better than anything I've had from a bottle. Seriously. Yet another thing I won't be buying pre-made again. The garlic mayo (silken tofu based) was fantastic as well. I mixed it with one of those bags of mixed baby potatoes (red, white, purple) and some chopped fresh dill to make the potato salad. I would serve this vegan potato salad to anyone without reservation. I don't think there's a person in the world who would be able to tell it wasn't real mayonnaise.

I also suspect the sandwich itself could be passed off as real meat and no one would be able to tell unless they really thought about it. The sauce was so flavorful and the texture of the seitan is so meatlike... it basically blew my mind. Get this cookbook!

No comments: