Sunday, May 15, 2011

Potato & Kale Enchiladas

I've been wanting to make these enchiladas (from Veganomicon) for a long time, mostly because I didn't really believe potato and kale enchiladas could be very good. I've only been completely vegan for a few months, you know, and I have a hard time believing things I've always considered cheese-based can be as good in a non-cheese format. So far, though, I've not been disappointed at all. These were delicious!

They were also complicated, but that's okay. There is not much more I love than spending a couple hours in the kitchen with some crappy TV show streaming on the computer. Today I got to watch two episodes of Stargate: Atlantis while these came together.

First I had to roast some Anaheim chiles. Every time I roast peppers under the broiler, I forget about them completely until the last possible second. Every single time! Fortunately they're sort of hard to screw up. You broil them until the skins are crispy, let them cool, then peel and chop.

While they were roasting, I made this cilantro sour cream (main ingredient: silken tofu).

Then I put the sauce together.

And toasted some pumpkin seeds, which were chopped up and mixed into the potato/kale filling.

Here's a shot in the midst. I had a lot going on.

And here is the final product! My one complaint about enchiladas is that they're hard to get out of the pan without mushing them all up. They taste the same, but the pictures don't turn out very well!


Nevertheless, they were super tasty and a good way to wrap up my weekend of food.

No comments: