Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Night Ethiopian

I've been jonesing for the Ethiopian restaurant the last couple of weeks, but it's kind of a pain to drive to so we keep putting it off. Instead, I made some Ethiopian things for dinner.

I've made this seitan & peppers (Vegan With a Vengeance) once before, and I thought it needed to be less spicy and more saucy, so I cut the chiles by two-thirds and added an extra half-cup of vegetable broth this time around. But! I tasted the puree before I added the seitan & peppers and it was terrible, super bitter - the exact flavor of the green thai curry disaster! The only common ingredient is serrano chiles. Mystery solved!!! Serranos are hereby banned from my house. I'm thinking the last time I made this recipe, I must have used jalapenos, which I often do out of laziness. I put it in the oven regardless because peppers generally mellow out when they're baked, and it totally worked and was delicious, to my relief.

I also made the Mushroom Tibs from Appetite for Reduction, which we have also had once before.



Good dinner.

No comments: