Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pasta with Italian Sausage

I chose the recipe for tonight's dinner by opening American Vegan Kitchen to a random page and going with it. I always mean to use that cookbook more, but the ingredient lists look intimidatingly long so I seem to unconsciously avoid it. I did make a couple changes - I halved the pasta (she called for a pound for four servings - too much!) and I added half a jar of quartered artichoke hearts that I had sitting around in the fridge. It wasn't complicated in the least - I need to make more of an effort to move AVK into regular rotation.



The sausage is a Vegan Brunch recipe I made this afternoon, and exceeded my expectations by quite a lot. I'd tried her sausages once before but I didn't wrap them tightly enough before steaming, so they weren't very firm. This time I wrapped those suckers as tight as I could and they were fantastic. I eat a lot of homemade fake meats and I wouldn't try to convince people that most of it actually tastes like meat, but these sausages could easily be substituted for those fancy packaged chicken ones and I doubt anyone would notice.

2 comments:

Matt said...

This looks really good... I am completely with you on the intimidating ingredient list - I really like the look of the book, but there are just so many ingredients in so many things! My partner really likes the mac and cheese though.

molly said...

I haven't tried the mac & cheese yet but the no-tuna noodle casserole is really, really good. So many steps, though! Last time I made it, I put it together one night and then baked it for dinner the next.