Sunday, November 20, 2011

Smoky Split Pea Soup

Split Pea Soup does not photograph attractively, but this recipe (from Appetite for Reduction) is so, so good. The secret is a bunch of smoked paprika, which is also what gives the soup a reddish tint.



I also made homemade bread, which was an adventure. I had it all mixed up and ready to rise and realized I'd forgotten the yeast. I figured it was mostly unsalveagable, but I didn't want to waste all that flour! So I put it back in the mixer, dumped the packet of yeast on top, and added a little warm water - so the yeast would have something to activate in, you know. Then I turned the mixer on and yeasty water was flung all over the kitchen. Brilliant! I turned it back off and dumped out some of the water, then mushed the remaining water into the dough along with some flour. Anyway, the result was predictable - it barely rose at all and was very, very dense. Fortunately my husband is weird and he loves bread like that, so he did a pretty good job of eating it up anyway.

No comments: