Friday, November 25, 2011

A Vegan Thanksgiving!

We had a small Thanksgiving at home, just me and Ben, but we sure did eat a lot.

I made the beer chocolate waffles from Vegan Brunch for breakfast, with a homemade chocolate sauce on top. These were my first successful vegan waffles - the ones I'd tried before stuck to the waffle iron even after spraying it with oil. Someone on the PPK message boards suggested cooking them a little longer than you think you should, and that worked!


Here is the dinner: I made a seitan pot roast with carrots & potatoes in the crockpot (recipe: Vegan Diner), roasted broccoli with garlic in the oven, and opened a can of jellied cranberry sauce because it's Ben's favorite. Even after more than a year of being vegan, I was sort of suspicious that a seitan pot roast would be any good, but it was great. A good thing, too, because we have tons of of it left over.



And then I made pumpkin cheesecake for dessert.



I used the recipe in Vegan Pie in the Sky, which uses a combination of cashews, silken tofu, and banana to stand in for the cream cheese. The consistency was incredible, just like regular cheesecake.



The flavor was not very pumpkiny, though - you could taste the banana and the citrus (orange zest & lemon juice) more than the pumpkin. This is possibly because we don't like nutmeg so I left it out. Regardless, it tasted great and is definitely something I'll make again. I need to try more things from the pie cookbook!



No comments: