Monday, March 5, 2012

Veggies & Dumplings

Everyone on the vegan message boards keeps raving about this recipe from Vegan Diner, which is good because I thought it sounded boring and probably wouldn't have made it otherwise. It's just a vegetable stew, thickened with a milk/cornstarch slurry, with dumplings steamed in the soup. So basic! And really, really good. This is going to be a winter staple. Assuming we ever have winter again.


I also used that Wayfare We Can't Say It's Cheese spread to make mac & cheese (with linguine because that's the pasta I had open). I used about a quarter cup of the cheese to 1 cup of cooked pasta, and mixed in some soy milk to thin it. It was good, but the cheese spread lost some its flavor heated up. I should have added some salt & pepper but I was too lazy, and it was good enough as is. The texture is amazingly smooth and cheesy.



I also made Ben some gingersnaps from a Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar recipe. I don't like gingersnaps but he assures me they're really good.


1 comment:

Matt said...

Yumm... I'm not a huge soup/dumpling type either - but I really like that recipe. And it's so easy, and satisfying!