Saturday, March 24, 2012

Harira

Harira is the soup traditionally eaten to break the fast during Ramadan. It's usually made with lamb, but this recipe (from Bean by Bean) is, obviously, vegan. The base is lentils and chickpeas, with lots of fresh herbs and vegetables and some noodles thrown in at the end. I used Japanese somen noodles because I had some on hand, so this is probably not strictly traditional even considering the lamb is omitted.

I've noticed a recent tendency I have to pick recipes that don't sound all that exciting or are even downright weird (see: African vegan meatloaf) in order to see if they'll actually be tasty. So far, I have not been disappointed. I thought this one might be on the boring side, particularly because I don't even really like soup, but I absolutely loved it.

I also made a loaf of the Vegan Diner Garlic-Dill Bread, but with chives in place of the dill. Our chives plant normally dies off in the winter but, as we didn't really have winter this year, it's going nuts out there and I've been trying to make a concerted effort to prune it back. ANYWAY here are some pictures of everything.



Mmmm, bread.



It was a great dinner!

No comments: