Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Broccoli, Edamame, and Bok Choy Skillet

Ben is always complaining about how he doesn't like eating beans. As vegetarians, though, we pretty much have to eat beans for protein, plus I like them, so I always make them anyway and he eats them and never seems to have too much of a problem with it. Still, I feel a little guilty about it. In an attempt to come up with some new, creative things to do with beans that he won't whine about too much, I got a new cookbook called Bean by Bean. It's not a vegan cookbook, but the author is vegetarian and almost all of the recipes in the book are either vegan or have a vegan option. I was pretty excited flipping through it - it's huge and extensive and there are a lot of things that look pretty great.

I started off with a recipe so simple it's hardly even a recipe - steamed bok choy, broccoli, and edamame, seasoned with the zest and juice of a lemon, plus salt & pepper. I picked this because it was quick and also because I was interested to see if it actually tasted good. There's not even any garlic in there! Or oil! How could it be tasty?

When I presented Ben with his bowl of plain pasta + green stuff he was not too excited, but it turned out to hugely exceed both of our expectations. How can there be so much flavor in lemons and salt & pepper? I also put some walnut parm on top. I'm going to be using this method a lot in the future for quick healthy dinners.



Then for dessert I made an ice cream sandwich out of cranberry-oatmeal cookies (from Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar) and Trader Joe's soy creamy vanilla. It was outstanding.




No comments: