Monday, January 9, 2012

Tofurky

When you are a vegetarian, meat-eaters think it is super hilarious to say, "How was your tofurky?" after Thanksgiving. I've been a vegetarian for quite a few Thanksgivings in my life and had never had one. Last week Trader Joe's had them clearanced for $2.99, though, so I thought it was worth trying. (Note: They're still $24.99 at Whole Foods. TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS. Ben said we should buy up a bunch at Trader Joe's and sell them at a $10 mark-up in the Whole Foods parking lot. But we did not do that.)



I put it in the crockpot on low for about 5 hours, with some vegetable broth, thyme, rosemary, and half a chopped onion. Pretty easy! And then I roasted some potatoes and green beans to go with. We did not eat the gravy that came with the Tofurky because I'm not a gravy fan unless I've made it myself.



People on my vegan boards said it can be sort of dry, so I made sure to spoon some of the broth over it before serving. It wasn't bad! However, it wasn't terrific, either. My own food is way better and, unless you're getting these things on super clearance like I did, way less expensive, too. I'm eh on tofurky. But at least I can say now that I've had it.

No comments: