Monday, January 30, 2012

Portobello Pepper Steak Stew

This is one of the last recipes from Appetite for Reduction that I've really been anxious to make and haven't yet, mostly because mushrooms go bad almost instantly so they're sort of inconvenient to put on the weekly dinner plan. The seitan here is a simmered recipe - I almost always steam it, but decided to go the simmering route just to see how it turned out. The texture is not as dense as the steamed version, and I think the flavor was better. So HM. Now I have a dilemma about my preferred seitan method.

Anyway I was going to serve this stew over a nice big baked potato, but I forgot how freaking long a baked potato takes, so they weren't ready in time. It worked out fine anyway, because we had cheesecake for dessert and are eating the potatoes for lunch with stew leftovers today.


I really loved this recipe and will be making it again for sure.

We eat dinner on the couch, because we are uncultured, but these jerks took my spot so I had to sit on the floor. Hmph.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like how you sat on the floor instead of making the cats move (I would have done the same).

Sarah said...

Cute new pillows!

And, Amy, considering the charming personality of your cat....I wouldn't move her either.

Matt said...

Aaah, your kitties are so gorgeous.

And I have to say that Pepper Steak Stew is one of my faves from AFR.. The capsicum and onion sizzling, with the mushrooms and the seitan.. ahh, the flavours!