Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chickpea Noodle Soup & Garlic-Dill Bread

This winter has been basically like winter in Los Angeles. I think we've had less than 10 cold days. It's weirdly disorienting and I'm going to be a little disappointed if we don't get a little snow or ice or something before the brutal Southern summer pops back up again. We had one chilly day today, sandwiched in between two full weeks of 60+ degrees, so I made the most of it with homemade bread and soup.

This garlic-dill bread is from Vegan Diner and was maybe the easiest bread I've ever made. No yeast! It took about five minutes to mix together and stick in the oven. It came out looking kind of like a huge biscuit, but the inside was moist and bready and delicious.


The soup is a Veganomicon recipe I've been trying to make for two weeks, but I kept forgetting to get the called for mushrooms at the grocery store. I went to the store today and forgot them again (seriously, why are the mushrooms in a completely different area from the rest of the produce?), but decided to go ahead and make it anyway. I added some celery to fill in for the bulk of the mushrooms and it worked fine. This is very reminiscent of good old canned chicken noodle soup, except without the massive amount of salt and weirdly gelatinous broth.



We have a fire in the fireplace and ate our soup and tomorrow it will be 62 degrees again.

2 comments:

orangek8 said...

I might need to try making that bread. Dill bread is my VERY FAVORITE!

molly said...

I'll post the recipe on the boards! It is SUPER easy.