Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I Made Cheese! And Empanadas!

Look at this crazy cheese I made from cashews! I am VERY excited about it. It has a smoky sesame flavor you can make it taste like anything you want and REST ASSURED I'm going to be trying some variations because this stuff was great with crackers.



I also used it to stuff a veggie burger. Glorious. If I'd known it was going to set up so firm I would have tried to pour it into the bowl with a completely smooth surface. Next time!

Then I made empanadas. This is a simple corn dough stuffed with black beans, rice, and plantains. You're technically supposed to fry them but we're on the post-holiday reduction plan so I baked them. I was a little worried about not liking the corn but it was good! I made cilantro-lime (tofu) sour cream to go with, which is about five times better than the very expensive store-bought plain version. And then a nice green salad with avocado & tomato and a citrus-cilantro vinaigrette on the side. It was a great healthy dinner!


I also learned that if you spill brown sugar on a hot burner it will immediately burst into flame. Happy New Year to me!

1 comment:

Ann said...

FUNNY !!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR BEN and MOLLY.