Sunday, September 11, 2011

Homestyle Loaf

OKAY. I feel like "lentil loaf" and similar are used as sort of the default Gross Vegan Thing that omnivores like to make fun of. And, I admit, I share this prejudice. Who would eat that crap?? I think a major issue is that the word "loaf" is so unappetizing. Even "meat loaf" sounds pretty gross when you think about it.

So tonight, I decided to challenge my prejudice and try the Homestyle Loaf recipe in Vegan Diner, which is rapidly becoming my favorite cookbook. I've made a lot of her recipes, and have been blown away with every single one - so I figured she would be a dependable place to start for my venture into Loafs. In this recipe, the "meat" mixture is Boca crumbles, shredded tofu, oatmeal, and ground walnuts, with some onion & garlic & celery plus ketchup and soy sauce and various herbs. I KNOW it sounds suspect, people. But look at it out of the oven - nicely meatloafy:


And here it is sliced up.



It was GOOD. Ben said, "This reminds me of my mom's meat loaf," and that's exactly what Julie says in the recipe, that she made it as a substitute for her mom's meat loaf! Therefore, it must be true.

I also slivered a bunch of brussels sprouts and sauteed them with shallots and garlic and salt and pepper. Ben is an avowed brussels hater - and he ate these all right up. SUCCESS!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that looks pretty tasty for a ____ loaf. I don't like meat loaf, but even if I did, I can't imagine I'd say that it LOOKS good.

Those brussels sprouts on the other hand: WANT!

Matt said...

How friggin good is that book? It's definitely my new favourite. Along with Urban Vegan. EVERYTHING from it turns out amazingly.

We don't have Boca crumbles here in Australia.. would TVP rehydrated with tomato paste and soy sauce work, or is there more to it than that? Is it dry or wet? Sorry for the questions!

molly said...

I'm sure you could use TVP! I think you just need some kind of crumbly thing to stand in for the meat. I've also seen similar recipes using crumbled tempeh.

Matt said...

Thankyou! I have wanted to give this a try after an absolutely awful vegan meatloaf from another new book!