Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Vegan Cuban Sandwich

It's kind of hard to take a picture of a mushed sandwich, but here you go.


I was pretty surprised this worked out!  First of all, there are both pickles and mustard on there, which in the not-too-distant past would have been out of the question for me.  There is also Lightlife fake ham, which I sort of try to avoid just on principle.  And then there is orange mojo seitan from Viva Vegan, which is awesome under any circumstances.

In order to make a real Cuban sandwich you are supposed to mush it flat with a sandwich press while you fry it in butter (or Earth Balance).  I do not have a griddle or sandwich press or anything, so I just smashed it with my hands and then with the back of a spatula.  It worked pretty well!  And the taste was incredible!  I am always in search of a tasty, filling vegetarian sandwich so I am excited about this development.

No comments: