Monday, June 25, 2012

Esme's Sauce

If you google "esme's sauce" you get tons of hits - this concoction was invented by someone on the Post Punk Kitchen message boards at some point before my time there, and has become kind of famous in vegan circles.  Here's the recipe.  I think it's so popular because it's really easy and is composed of equal parts of ingredients that pretty much everyone (every vegan, anyway) has in the house at any given time.

I replaced the oil with water, since I figured the tahini was already providing a good amount of fat, and used the mustard option plus one tablespoon of nutritional yeast for good measure.  We had it on rotini with half a package of crumbled tempeh and a lot of kale.


It took about 25 minutes start to finish, even including steaming the kale and crumbling and steaming the tempeh, so definitely good for a weeknight dinner.  It has a weird unexpectedly tangy flavor but we really liked it. Ben claimed he could taste the nutritional yeast and that I should leave it out next time, so I GUESS I will do that because I'm so nice.

No comments: