Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mac & Fake Cheese + Brussels Sprouts

Ben is out of town this week, so I'm making things that he doesn't like. He will eat almost anything, but at the top of the No Way list is Brussels sprouts, so naturally they're first on the menu for this week.

Tonight I made shells & cheese with cut up hot dogs! Except the "cheese" sauce is made primarily with nutritional yeast (I know, weird) and the hot dogs are Tofu Pups. Tofu Pups are not great on their own, but do very well in something like this. Doesn't it look real?


It tastes really good, too. Nutritional yeast is not like the yeast you bake with - it's yellow flakes that do a good job of imitating cheese in sauces, and is also good sprinkled on cooked veggies or popcorn. I swear.

The Brussels sprouts are sliced into thin strips and sauteed with garlic and shallots - mmm mmm good!

3 comments:

Little Smiths said...

I actually know all about nutritional yeast. There's a bottle of it in my cabinet! HA!

Unknown said...

That does look really good!

orangek8 said...

That looks DELICIOUS.