Monday, May 14, 2012

Using Up Greens + Strawberry Pie

Somehow, I ended up with a bunch of collards and three bags of kale in my refrigerator all at one time.  Even though these items are basically free in North Carolina, I still feel bad wasting food and have gone on a quest to use it all up.  

The collards were oldest, so I cooked them up on Saturday night using Viva Vegan's Brazilian Braised Kale recipe.  I often am in a hurry cooking collards and don't give them enough time to cook down - kale is much faster - but Saturday I was patient and let them go for a long time to get tender and they were perfect.  I made my old standby garlic yellow rice to serve as the base of the bowl, and then threw together some black beans, loosely based upon Viva Vegan's Venezuelan Black Beans recipe, using things from the freezer.  Man!  This turned out to be a great dinner.  The beans are sweet, not spicy, so the flavor of the rice and collards wasn't overpowered.


And then for dinner we had strawberry pie.  I just barely got in under the wire for farmer's market strawberry season this year.  This recipe comes from Ben's mom and is already vegan (assuming you use shortening rather than butter for the crust).  As you can see, I am still not very good at making pretty crusts but with time and lots of pie-making, hopefully I will get there.



Today is Monday and that pie is already gone.  I only had two pieces!  Ben is a good dessert eater.

No comments: