Thursday, January 31, 2013

Broiled Vegetables in Yogurt Sauce

I finally caved last week and bought How To Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman.  I kept going to look at it on Amazon and finally realized "it is NINETEEN DOLLARS" so I went for it.  It is completely enormous and overwhelming and I had a ton of fun reading through it over the course of a couple of days.  This week's dinners are all from the book - I think I could probably cook from this thing for the rest of my life and not get everything made.

The first thing I made was a basic baked mac and cheese, which was a little weird because it turns out my unsweetened soy milk was a little sweetened after all.  Ben liked the weirdness but I was not too much of a fan.

Last night I made his Broiled Eggplant with Peppers & Onions in Yogurt Sauce.  The recipe title pretty much says it all - you broil vegetables in the oven (first eggplant, then peppers & onions, then tomato), season with salt, pepper, and thyme, mix the vegetables up with 2 cups of plain yogurt, then return to the oven for a little more broiling.  It was a little time consuming as you have to watch the oven to make sure everything cooks for the proper amount of time, but it was really basic and simple and surprisingly delicious.

Look at all the peppers! (pre-broil)


And this is the final product, which looked very restauranty if I do say so myself.


I served the vegetables over a rice pilaf with slivered almonds and dried cranberries.

No comments: