Saturday, January 12, 2013

Black-Eye Pea Fritters

In the South you are supposed to have black-eyed peas and collards on New Year's Day, for good luck.  I did my black-eyed peas in fritter form this year, and we also ate it on January 2nd because it turned out that we were too lazy on New Years Day and decided to go out for Mexican food instead of cooking.  So hopefully that will not negate the good luck effect!

This recipe is from Vegan Soul Kitchen, and the fritters are supposed to be deep-fried but I pan-fried them instead.  They were still good!  They were sort of like falafel, except with black-eyed peas.


I did the collards my usual way (boil for a long time while cooking other things, then drain and saute with a chopped onion and some garlic, adding soy sauce & liquid smoke to flavor).  And then also made my old standby yellow rice from Viva Vegan.  Delicious!

No comments: