Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snowpocalypse 2014

We have had a terrible winter by North Carolina standards. There have been a couple of nights with lows in the single digits and just a couple of weeks ago we got a good 3 inches of snow, which is unusual but was less than they were predicting. I think that is maybe why people took the forecast for this week's storm with a grain of salt. Surely it wouldn't be that bad! But it happened exactly like the forecast predicted. It started snowing at noon on Wednesday and became terrible almost immediately. I  left work within 20 minutes of the beginning and the roads were already virtually impassable. I went about a mile in 40 minutes. Then I parked my car at Kroger and walked the rest of the way home. It was 5 miles. There were times during the walk I thought I might be overreacting, but as the night went on it became clear I had made the right decision. There were hundreds of cars left stranded in the middle of most of our major roads by 6pm. 

This was the scene on Six Forks Road about a half mile from where I left the car. Nobody could get up that extremely minor hill. 


Remember it had started snowing literally less than an hour before. It was total craziness. 

Here I am about a mile in. 


When I was walking over the freeway overpass a woman yelled at me from her car, "is there something going on down on the highway?" Uh. What do you think?


Conditions (and my mascara) were becoming increasingly grim. This is 4 miles in. But only 1 mile from home!


Ben showed up just after I took that picture - he left home with coffee and a backpack, picked up a bottle of wine at the gas station, and met me to walk the last mile home. Hero!


Amazingly, we only lost power for about 2 hours, from midnight until 2:00ish, and then again for an hour or so this morning.   It was pretty icy!



I'm now officially ready for winter to be over. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

You look so frozen!!! I'm glad you had warm clothes and boots!