Monday, March 25, 2013

Homemade Ethiopian Feast

The thing most people do the day after food poisoning is spend two and a half hour making a big Ethiopian feast, right?  Or not.  And to be honest, there were moments when I doubted this was an undertaking I wanted to follow through on.  But I did it! and it was worth it.

I made the mushroom tibs and ye'abesha gomen (stewed collards) from Appetite for Reduction, and this Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry I found on the internet.  All of that stuff was great.  

However.  I tried to make the injera-style crepes from Vegan Eats World and they were a total disaster.  I asked around and it seems like I'm not the only one to have trouble with them - you're supposed to pour the batter in the pan, cover it with a lid, and let them "bake" for 2-3 minutes.  Well.  After 2-3 minutes they were still gloppy, with big holes, and when we scraped them out of the pan it seemed like they returned to their previous batter state.  How is that even possible under the laws of physics???  Anyway, after attempting 2 of them we threw the batter away and made our standard crepe recipe, which worked fine.


This was an awesome dinner!  Worth the effort for sure.

No comments: