Friday, December 27, 2013

Sweet Potato Gnocchi from Scratch

Ben and I made gnocchi one time when we lived in Santa Clarita, so at least ten years ago, and it was such a fiasco it has never occurred to me to attempt them again. You can get a shelf-stable package for $2.79! Why would you bother with homemade?

But then: in Isa Does It, there's a recipe for sweet potato gnocchi with brussels sprouts and tarragon cream sauce, and I thought, "oh, I'm a much better cook now. It won't be that bad." Hey, guess what: it sucked. Huge waste of time for no payoff. I mean, they were good, but not any better than what I can get at Harris Teeter. I will not be making gnocchi from scratch again.

What I will be making again is this vegan cream sauce, which was spectacular: cashew cream, white wine, garlic, onion, and tarragon. That's it. I didn't even use fresh tarragon because I forgot to buy any. It way exceeded my expectations. 


The dish as a whole was great - we both loved eating it - but I did not love making it. Good to know! Homemade gnocchi are off the table.

No comments: