Saturday, November 3, 2012

Indian Supplies

My mom is awesome and also got me The Indian Slow Cooker for my birthday.  It's not a vegetarian cookbook per se, but most of the recipes are naturally vegan, which makes sense because the author has been vegan for most of her adulthood.  She has a second book called Vegan Indian Cooking, which I do not have.  (Yet.)

Last week I made the Punjabi kidney beans from this book because it was the only one for which I had all the ingredients.  My one complaint is that the recipes make a huge amount of food, and there are only two of us in the McClure household - but mainly I am making these things to eat for breakfast throughout the week, so if I get five breakfasts out of one recipe and have to throw some food out on Friday night, I still figure I am coming out ahead.  Also, the kidney beans are awesome and the recipe is online.  You should make them.  The cinnamon is key.

Today I drove the million (20?) miles to the Around the World Market, which is the best Indian market in the Raleigh area.  I got SO MUCH STUFF.  I made a list of all the sorts of beans I was supposed to buy, but then I got there and found I had not included enough detail on the list, so decided to play it safe and if they had versions of the same bean that were split, whole, etc., I went ahead and got them all.  I figure we will eat them eventually.  Plus they were only $3 each (or less!).  And now we are all set for at least a couple of months if there is an apocalypse.


I also replenished my stock of tamarind concentrate and got a huge bag of cinnamon sticks for $1.25, some paneer (not vegan!), and spices for Chana Masala.  And also some pad thai noodles, which for some reason they sell at very affordable prices at the Indian market.

I am SET.  Lots of crockpot Indian stuff coming our way this winter.

No comments: