Friday, July 28, 2017

Cats! Cats! Cats!

We've had Doki and Mike just over a year now. Making the snap decision to take these two cats in has turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done in my life. They are a freaking delight. 


It's been really gratifying winning Mike over. He was so suspicious of us in the beginning - would dodge his head to avoid petting, even hissed at times - but now he is a big love muffin. He's still irritable, no doubt, but he follows us from room to room now, and happily sleeps on the couch and allows us to pet him while we watch TV.


He wasn't very fluffy when we got him, as they came to us as outdoor cats, but he is QUITE fluffy now.


Doki is still small, but mighty. She remains the boss of the house despite being 2/3rds the size of the other two. Papaya used to be afraid of her, but has since realized Doki doesn't actually want to hurt her, just to chase her around and make her feel bad about herself. She does this to Mike, too. It's equal opportunity bullying - classic Napoleon syndrome. She's never irritable with us, though - she climbs into my lap and settles into purr there for hours if I let her.


All in all, they get along well and every day it's the highlight of my day to come home and get to see them all hanging out together.


Papaya is still a weirdo, for the most part. But she's pretty.


Mike likes to lay on his back like this but gets very irritated when you try to touch his stomach. It's mean! Don't do that if you don't want belly pets!





Seriously.


The lesson I have learned through this impromptu adoption is that I love cats. All cats. I guess there might be some bad ones out there, but it isn't true that I need to get them when they're kittens and raise them and all that. I loved these guys instantly, and I love them more every day. I can't ever imagine having fewer than three now. I want all the cats always! Thanks, Grandma Betty.

No comments: