Tuesday, March 24, 2015

One thing I have discovered in the course of cancer treatment is that you can order all your groceries online and then drive there and sit in a special parking space and they will bring them out for you and load them into your car. This has possibly changed my life forever. It costs $4.95 but I probably save that just by avoiding the impulse buys that come from wandering around a grocery store. Amazing!

The second week of chemo was pretty much like the first. Friday is the worst day and it gets worse as the day goes on, both physically (fatigue, spaciness) and emotionally. I think a lot of that is to do with the comedown from steroids that are given with my chemo drugs. By Saturday I am more alert, though, and then back to almost normal by Sunday. I hope this pattern continues!  I still need to look out for neuropathy, but so far I haven't experienced any of that.

I'm going to have a port put in next week. My arms are already bruised and 10 more IV weeks plus a year of herceptin just did not sound fun. The port is a little circular device that sits under the skin on my upper chest and connects directly to a vein, so that in order to draw blood or administer meds they just stick a tiny needle directly into it and supposedly this does not hurt. I think it will be a lot easier, especially because the IVs being in my left arm has meant I can't really use my dominant hand at all during chemo.

In other news, Banana has had five seizures this month. We have doubled his Keppra but are probably going to have to add another med. It's pretty crazy how we are taking this in stride now, though: oh well, it's just an epileptic cat!

1 comment:

slh said...

Molly,

I just recently found out about your health journey with cancer and chemo. That stinks! But I know you will come through. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I'll keep up with your blog. Which by the way, is great. Hi to Ben! Sorry to hear about Banana but as you said - it's all in perspective. Good health to you!