Sunday, January 18, 2015

Smitten Kitchening

Some of my friends have started a project wherein collectively we're going to cook the entire Smitten Kitchen cookbook this year. So far I've made a few things I probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, so I think it's going to be a fun and positive experiment. 

We had friends over for dinner last weekend and I made a butternut squash and caramelized onion galette, which was fantastic. 


Then for dessert I made lemon bars, which use an entire puréed lemon. They were really good! They were light and fluffier than most lemon bars but very tart. 


Those two dishes together contained an entire pound of butter. So it's going to be a challenge to not gain a million pounds this year. 

Last night I made the grapefruit olive oil pound cake, which I thought would be a good thing to make for Ben since I don't like grapefruit. Alas, it turns out that I like this cake nevertheless. 


It's also relatively healthy for cake, containing lots of good citrus and not too much fat. Winner!

Tonight I'm making braised short ribs so stay tuned for that. I had to ask the guy at the grocery store for the ribs because I didn't even know what they look like. 

No comments: